domingo, julio 31, 2005

Concha Bamba Pescadores


We decided to find some rocks to place under the front tires to give the Turq some traction. We tried doing this for about half an hour, and the Turq just kept sinking. At this point, when I looked around and the Concha Beach seemed deserted, I thought to myself, what I am going to do if the tide gets closer? Do I really want to see the Turq get pulled into the Pacific Ocean? Is this really how it is going to end?

This is when two young boys showed up after they saw the commotion from afar. At first, I was surprised to learn that they had been quietly fishing on the other side of the cove. Concha Bamba beach was their home. These guys were incredibly friendly, and I quickly realized that things were going to get better.

In time, these kids started shouting towards the hills and the brush behind us. This is when Josh and Dave looked to me to figure out what they were saying. Josh and Dave speak no Spanish, so it was up to me to keep everyone informed when dealing with the locals. Josh and Dave were definitely not comforted when I told them that I could only understand some words that these kids were saying. Despite being fluent in Spanish, these kids were shouting some indigenous dialect words into the mountains, and I could not catch all of it. But we decided to trust them, as they told us to keep diggin under the tires.

Here, Josh starts digging sand from under the Turq with his hands. The two Concha boys look on, as Dave and I wait to see what is moving in the bushes behind us.

 Posted by Picasa

No hay comentarios.: