miércoles, septiembre 07, 2005

Stop Clowning Around


When Josh and I stayed at Dan and Evonne's place, they lifted the SF curtain and really showed us what the Bay Area had to offer in terms of dining and ambiance. One of the choice selections they made for us was Joe's of Westlake.

Cristian, Dan, Josh and I visited Joe's of Westlake on a clear Thursday night in SF. Josh and I had an idea of what we were getting ourselves into, but upon arriving at Joe's, I felt like a scene from Goodfellas was about to unfold. This was classic Italian dining with a smooth bar lounge while you wait for the tuxedo-dressed waiter to walk you to your leather dark booth.

I kept looking over my shoulder, waiting for My Cousin Vinny to walk around the Cascade Room (a dining room with two giant salt water fish tanks) or Joe Pesci to ask me what the hell I was laughing at!

While we waited at the bar lounge, a 60-year old waitress that called me "hon" took our orders and quickly returned with our drinks.

At the bar, a 75 year old man was grooving to the jazz music playing live a couple feet from him, but from his corner of the bar, all he could see were the grape-like lamps hanging behind the bartender. I pointed out to Dan that I really liked his hair piece, a smooth dark black, with some pockets of gray hair poking out of the places where the wig didn't reach. Perfect.

Then we had the jazz ensemble, including the chain-smoking and drink-holding middle aged man belching out some tired lyrics...but nonetheless in the moment. Joe's of Westlake is just that kind of place, where you come to see what the neighborhood chaps are up to these days.

The portrait displayed above hangs over the waiting bench in the lobby. So stop clowning around with your olive garden, and get yourself some real food from the old country!

For more information about Joe's of Westlake, visit http://joesofwestlake.com
If you order the Minute Steak Special, medium rare of course, you will not be disappointed. And Ray Liotta would be proud. "Forget about it."



 Posted by Picasa

No hay comentarios.: