sábado, septiembre 10, 2005

Fred's Mail in Sausalito


We stopped in Sausalito before heading to Napa. Dan and Evonne wisely recommended Fred's Coffee Shop as the best breaksfast stop, a great diner on Bridgeway, the main strip in Sausalito.

When you walk into the small space, your expectations become modest. The service is very informal, but nice. A Korean mother and daughter team handle most of the customer relations, while three Mexican cooks dish out the reason people come here, the incredibly good food.

I ordered the apple chicken sausage omelette, some OJ, and one pancake. When I received my order, the plate looked ready for my utensils to engage in some serious battle-mode breakfast eating feast. I was blown away by the omelette's taste, awesome. The pancake topped me off. By the end of the battle, I had lost, and Fred had won!

Fred's Coffee Shop totally "delivered" one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. If you are ever in Sausalito, whether passing through or staying in town, try this place out. Sit by the counter and watch the cooks prepare you a breakfast to remember. And be sure to check out the owner's international postcard collection on your way out.

For more information about Fred's Coffee Shop visit http://dinesite.com/info/review-read/post-50355/?&t=158779.

I took this picture in Sausalito. I was impressed by the strong sense of community as expressed by the individualized painted mailboxes. The term "neighborhood" could have thousands of visual representations, and this is definitely one of them. You've got mail.

Speaking of mail, I think it is very sad what happened in New Orleans. As most people know by now, the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina will be remembered for a long time to come. A hurricane that swept through the Gulf Coast with such ferocity and strength to wipe out an entire city has left many of us feeling vulnerable and questioning what type of protection we can expect from our government. If one good thing has come of this natural disaster, it is the unity and goodwill expressed by many Americans. Despite the accusations of racism and general negligence, some Americans have opened their hearts to the residents of New Orleans.

But I was disappointed to read that FEMA had changed its policy of handing out cash cards to some of the hurricane victims, and instead promised to send money through the regular mail. I hope that this policy change is reviewed swiftly, because the city of New Orleans will not have any postal service for some time to come. And although most residents can fill out a change of address form, our federal government should embrace technology during times of uncertainty to bring relief to those who need it as quickly as possible. As I write this, I am listening to "Summer" by Moby.

In Los Angeles, several Latino radio and television stations sponsored a fund raiser for the Red Cross on Olvera Street. My parents attended and my mom donated $50 dollars to the Hurricane Relief Fund. She hopes that her contribution will reach the victims, and that her money will be used for actual relief effort and not for Red Cross administrative expenses and overhead.


 Posted by Picasa

No hay comentarios.: