miércoles, mayo 07, 2008

Watari-um

Earlier this afternoon, I visited the Watari Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo. The exhibit is titled "Seed and Grow" and shows the work of Fabrice Hyber.

The words that came to mind when I explored the various installations were "vegetable", "green", "dirt" and "soil." There was something very earthy and clean about the whole experience. Perhaps it is the memory of cutting grass with my dad or chopping down the bougainvillea in my first home in East Los Angeles, but all together, my brain was put at ease by the work presented by the artist. It was not exactly sophisticated in any way, shape or form.

In fact, it could have easily been a public school teacher's pet project at some suburban elementary school in Ohio or West Virginia. But it wasn't. It was in Tokyo, and there was something pleasant about seeing this exhibit after having consumed a nice bowl of miso soup, and a nice cold beer.

So far so good in Japan. Every day is going to be good. Stay tuned for some pics, and for more reports like this one. Currently listening to "Blueberry Hill" on my Bose and green iPod.

No hay comentarios.: