miércoles, mayo 07, 2008

Terremotos en Japon

All of a sudden, the earth starting shaking. The apt tower swayed back and forth to a relaxing and rolling rythm, not against the current, but with it, tilting and sidestepping to avoid any of its toes from being stepped on. I felt like I was part of this dance, unknowingly, but reluctantly accepting its turns and strides.

I was in my first Tokyo earthquake, and my building was a willing participant. But after the second earthquake, which could have lasted up to 45 seconds, I was beginning to worry. Was this building safe? How were people reacting? Was there any damage anywhere?

But then I recalled all of my earthquake training in LAUSD classrooms, and instead decided to go back to sleep.

This morning I woke up thinking it all could have been a dream. That's how this whole experience still feels. Perhaps its the jet lag, and being 10 plus hours ahead of California, etc.

Day two in Japan. And the sun has only just begun to shine its light over this amazing city called Tokyo.

No hay comentarios.: