jueves, marzo 30, 2006

Taco Town & Beyond


Decades later, the Rivas family reunited with the Lopez family. During the early 1970s, the couple pictured in the center were my parents' landlords in historic Boyle Heights. Back then, my sister and I were the only children in our household, and the Lopez family treated us extremely well. My mom still recalls how La Senora Lopez arrived with a huge basket of gifts after I was born. Here, we are all celebrating my cousin Elvia's wedding on the front steps of the Sagrado Corazon church in Lincoln Heights.

The Lopez family owned a four-unit apartment building in Boyle Heights, near the corner of Cincinnati and Brooklyn Avenue (now Avenida Cesar Chavez). To this day, the Rivas family continues to have great memories of "La Cincinnati," remembering how great it was to live one block north of "La Brooklyn," the main artery in East LA.

The Lopez family also owned several Mexican restaurants, one of which was called "Taco Town" in Pico Rivera. Back in the 1970s, my father had several jobs trying to make ends meet. One of the jobs he had was the night shift cleaning the "Taco Town" restaurant. In those days, my mom, my sister and I would all go to the restaurant and help my dad mop, sweep and pick up after all the patrons had left. The nostalgic mexican music coming out of the juke box kept us going. The Lopez family still claim that my dad and his cleaning team are the best they have ever had!

El "Taco Town" in Pico Rivera was an important place for the young Rivas family during the 1970s. And in 2006 more than ever, the term "Taco Town" brings back memories of those unforgettable tacos in East LA!


 Posted by Picasa

No hay comentarios.: